Saturday, February 5, 2011

Farmer's Week

For the most part, I don't mind working on the weekends. HB can take the occasional Friday off, and since we don't have any kids, I don't have to worry about my schedule conflicting with theirs. I still get two days off together (Thursday and Friday), and I can't even complain during the football season: the first game doesn't start until 2:15, and I get off at 4:00 on Sunday, so I could watch the last quarter of the early game, and all of the late game.

Sometimes, though, there are events that make me regret having to work on Saturday and Sunday. This week, February 4th through February 11th, is BVI Farmer's Week. It only happens once a year, and as is often the case with such festivals, the major events occur on the weekend. I am pretty upset that due to my work schedule, I will be unable to go to the Farmer's Week festivities today and tomorrow in Paraquita Bay. I will be missing local food displays and agriculturally-related games.

Most importantly, on Sunday I will be missing what, for me, is the highlight of BVI Farmer's Week, and the agricultural year: Donkey Races. That's right. All the donkeys on the island will gather in one place, and race! I am devastated to be missing it. My only consolation is that perhaps HB will go and bring me a report on the wonder and excitement of the donkey races. I'm not too hopeful, though, since Sunday is his only day off this week, and I can hardly expect him to be anticipating the donkey races as eagerly as I am.

For more information on BVI Farmer's Week and its focus on local agriculture and sustainability, the BVI News has a great article.

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps HB might be enticed to take somne photos of the donky races if he approaches the event as a low-tech drag race or Datona errr Tortola 500?

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog