Monday, April 18, 2011

Puzzling Prices

I continue to be baffled by the costs of goods and services in the BVI. I've documented the high price of food, and also the astonishingly low price of birth control pills. Every time I try some new, yet commonplace, activity, I have no idea what to expect to pay. A base model compact rental car costs $55 per day in low season (compare to about $20 per day in the US), but today HB got his glasses adjusted and repaired, including a new nose piece to replace the one he'd lost, for $7.

If I had to generalize, I would say that cost of living in the BVI is about 30-50% more than in all but the most expensive locales of the US. But then I get three months' of birth control for $6 and I have to revise my thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog