Friday, January 7, 2011

Epiphany

Not commonly celebrated in the United States, January 6th marks the holiday of Epiphany, often referred to as Day of the Magi or Three Kings' Day throughout the rest of the world. January 6th is the 12th day of Christmas (Boxing Day, or the 26th of December, being the 1st day of Christmas), and marks the day that the Three Magi/Kings/Wise Men arrived in Bethlehem to present their gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh to the baby Jesus. 

Just like in the US, Epiphany is not celebrated in the BVIs either. Here, it was just a standard work day. No parades or special religious services, just another January day. 

But HB and I had a little celebration of our own. You see, a gift finally arrived that had been a long time coming. It may be as valuable to some as gold, frankincense, or myrrh, but to me, it is indeed a prize. Mailed on September 1, the blanket that my mother sent finally arrived yesterday. 

More properly, it arrived in the BVI on the 26th of September, to the East End Post Office. Since I'd already checked the East End Post Office for it twice before that date, I had no idea it was sitting there. But yesterday, someone from the Post Office called my work to let me know I had a package that had "been [there] for quite a long time", and when I went to collect it, it proved to be the blanket both my mother and I had long ago given up as missing. 

I hope you all had such a fruitful Epiphany.

1 comment:

Search This Blog