Saturday, August 13, 2011

Names

I have never been in a place like this for old-fashioned, and sometimes simply unique, first names. I am entranced at the creative streak parents have shown in dubbing their children. I'm sure some of the variety is created by the relatively high number of immigrants here in the BVI. I have taken to writing down first names I find interesting or unusual, and now present my compilation to you here.

Alvanley
Burnell
Civilla
Dancia
Obed
Althea
Basilia 
Claremond 
Luki 
McWellington 
Abiola 
Darwin 
Glanville 
Norwell 
Ascia 
Edwe 
Elmore 
Theodolph 
Cepheus 
Leando 
Walwyn 
Westerburn


I'd be hard-pressed to pick a favorite, although McWellington would definitely be up there. I appreciate how Walwyn, who is currently campaigning for political office, is using the obvious pun in his name. His slogan: "With Walwyn, we all win". With the exceptions of Elmore and Darwin, I don't believe I'd ever heard any of these names before. I appreciate the name diversity the BVI has introduced me to. 

3 comments:

  1. Right up there with Alfa Ovetta and Iva Gerald!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife the teacher had a student called Chlamydia. Her mother, at the hospital while pregnant, heard the name and liked it. True story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wanda -- I had kind of forgotten about the unusual names in my own family.

    Conchscooter -- I almost don't believe you. I was watching a TV show the other night where one of the characters suggested Chlamydia would be a lovely name, too bad about the negative association.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog