Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Nice Ride

After my walk down Station Road the other day, I ended by taking a breather sitting on the wall. Watching the traffic go by, it occurred to me that a lot of the vehicles I was seeing may not be regular sights in other parts of the world, and so I made a point to photograph all the non-US spec vehicles I saw.



My task became a little trickier when I realized that I'd been here long enough, I was actually uncertain whether some of the vehicles I was seeing were uncommon in the US, as they are so common here. Like this Mitsubishi Pajero. Do they have those in the States? Where else are they common?
























Small- and mid-sized SUVs are the cars of choice in the BVI, as the rough, steep roads demand clearance, and occasionally, all-wheel drive. Suzuki Grand Vitaras are the most popular option, by far, but for non-US-spec, the Daihatsu Terios, pictured above, is probably most numerous.






















Suzuki Jimnys, like this, are also very popular and one of the smallest options available. Despite their apparently diminutive exterior, HB reports they're awfully spacious inside, both front and back, although trunk space is sacrificed in the interest of passenger space.

Moving on from the standard passenger vehicle category, the rides get a little more unusual. This Suzuki Carry has been converted from a more van-like structure to make this open-bed truck.
























Non-US-spec "buses", like this Nissan Urvan, are by far the most popular options for taxi drivers in the BVI. They carry as many people as a standard minivan, but take up less space, being considerably narrower, and usually with a shorter wheelbase.

 Unusual even by BVI standards is this Peri, from the Chinese "Great Wall Motors". These electric vehicles still have too many safety concerns to be permitted for sale in the US, although market entry has been rumored off an on for about five years now.
























Some of the vehicles on the streets of Road Town are unique to the BVI.

1 comment:

  1. Nice pictures. Take tons of stiock pix around town. It;s fun to walk camera in hand and take opictures at random. The blog looks tons better.
    I say that and I'm off on vacation. ha ha ha.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog