Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Bathroom

For the past 6 days our toilet has been broken.  It works if you take the lid off of the tank, and fill it with gallon water jugs.  The water works at every other location in the house, just not the toilet.  I've tried to fix it, but it seems like the water is turned off, even though that is most definitely not the case.

So after a day or so of filling the tank with water from the kitchen sink, I went downstairs to tell the landlord.  Of course I've never seen her, but I do know her housekeeper(who speaks no English).  I did my best to describe my problem and asked that the landlord get it fixed.  Now, after four more days I am still without a functioning toilet, and I haven't seen hide nor hair of the landlord, or the housekeeper since.

Meanwhile the bathroom and kitchen are filled with empty gallon jugs.  The moral of this slightly disturbing story is:  You can never, ever, expect things to happen in a reasonable amount of time when you live in the Islands. Never.  Everything takes at least twice as long as it would in the states, and if you get mad about it, then you should probably live somewhere else.  Well that's enough for now.  I may need to use the bathroom tomorrow, so I'm going to get ready now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog