Thursday, March 8, 2012

What a Pistarckle!

We are welcoming a special guest at work today, and the entire staff is in an uproar getting everything "just so" for the event. As the owners came in to the office to put on finishing touches before receiving the guest, one of them exclaimed, "What a pistarckle!"

I had heard the word "pistarckle" before, in connection with the community theater on St. Thomas, but had no idea it could be used in everyday conversation. A quick google later, and it turns out that "pistarckle" is a Virgin Islands Creole word meaning "boisterous commotion", likely a corruption of the english "spectacle."

I also found this great site with a selection of Virgin Islands Creole. Many of the words given there I haven't heard before, but at least now I have a resource should I ever encounter any other gems like "pistarckle".

1 comment:

  1. What FUN!!!! Love some of the words! I want to make a pistarkle of myself!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog