Tuesday, September 20, 2011

R&R

I have been accustomed to think of a vacation as a type of retreat, an opportunity for some high quality rest and relaxation. My two weeks in Colorado, though, and especially the three nights at the cottage outside of Lyons, have forced me to reevaluation my vision and understanding of vacation.

When I lived in Colorado, I always looked forward to the cottage outside Lyons as a chance to get away from it all. HB and I would go up for a night or two, and spend every spare moment doing nothing. Not having anything to worry about or decide beyond sitting by the stream under the maple trees or the pine trees was exactly what I wanted out of a vacation. I could relax and unwind. I could spend some time really getting a lime on, if you will.

Visiting the cottage outside Lyons on this most recent trip, I found myself disappointed. I wasn't enjoying all the quality time sitting outside by the stream, or inside by the fire, doing nothing. I felt like something was different about the place -- it wasn't giving me the same sensations it used to.

It took me a day or two to realize: the place hadn't changed, I had. I was already rested and relaxed. I didn't need to do nothing and unwind. I didn't need to lime -- I had been spending the last year doing exactly that. A retreat was not what I wanted; I wanted immersion and engagement.

Once I understood this, I was able to enjoy the rest of my time at the cottage, and in Colorado, accepting that I had mis-judged what I wanted out of my vacation. In the future, I will know that since I am so well-relaxed at home, I will need to look for a different kind of r&r -- recreation and revelry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog