Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Dear May

To the month of May:

I'm sorry. I have maligned you in print several times, and verbally many more times than that, and I apologize.

Last year, you were an awful month. It rained for almost your entire stay here in the BVI, and I probably was experiencing more than my fair share of homesickness, so I looked on your soggy, dreary existence as further proof why the BVI was perhaps, not the right place for me. It didn't help that the tick epidemic began in you, and was perpetuated by the moisture you brought.

But this year, you have been a kindler, gentler May. We had a few foggy days, and you still managed to drop 9 inches of rain on us, but overall, it has been much more pleasant. You seem to have shared your attitude with these first few days of June, too. In fact, HB and I can't even remember the last time it rained.

So, I am very sorry if my words here have made you disliked amongst residents and visitors to the BVI. You have shown us that you are not always a bad time, that sometimes you can keep us happy with plenty of sun and only occasional showers. I hope our relationship can continue along this improved path.

Yours Sincerely,

Basset's View of the Islands

1 comment:

Search This Blog